ULTRA SPARC 1 Boot Change Procedure
For XVideo, PowerVideo, and MultiVideo Cards
Here are the instructions for changing the eeprom in the UltraSPARC 1 to
allow the system to boot from our frame buffer instead of the on-board frame
Please be EXTREMELY careful - you can render the system useless if you type
the wrong thing!!
- Perform your usual system shut-down procedures. At the system monitor
prompt (>), press n for new. You should now be at the OpenBoot monitor
- Suppose that you have a PowerVideo card in the top SBus slot of the Ultra
you want to use as the console instead of the Creator. From the OpenBoot
monitor show the sbus devices.
Look at the list of devices and make sure you really have the PowerVideo
board in SBus Slot 1.
- Find the device name needed for the PowerVideo board.
ok cd /sbus@1f,0
The device name should be similar to the following:
- Create the devalias in the NVRAM and set use-nvramrc? to be true:
(BE SURE TO USE THE DEVICE NAME RETURNED TO YOU IN STEP 3)
ok nvalias my-screen /sbus@1f,0/PGI,tvtwo@1,0
ok setenv use-nvramrc? true
- Change the output-device to the my-screen alias:
ok setenv output-device my-screen
- Perform a reset, and the output will go to the PowerVideo board in
the upper SBus slot:
If you ever want to delete the devalias my-screen, you can jump into
the OpenBoot monitor and:
ok nvunalias my-screen
ok set-default output-device
which will restore output-device to its default, screen.
[ Send Questions or Comments to Technical Support ]
[ Contact Technical Support (Phone, Fax, etc.) ]
[ Home ]
[ New! ]
[ Products ]
[ Solutions ]
[ Support ]
[ Company ]
[ Contacts ]
Copyright 1998 Parallax Graphics, Inc. All rights reserved.