SPARC 20 SX Boot Change Procedure
For XVideo, PowerVideo, and MultiVideo Cards
Here are the instructions for changing the eeprom in the SPARCstation to
allow the system to boot to our frame buffer instead of the on-board SX frame
Please be EXTREMELY careful - you can render the system useless if you type
the wrong thing!!
- Perform your usual system shut-down procedures. At the system monitor
prompt (>), press n for new. You should now be at the OpenBoot monitor
- Suppose that you have an XVideo card in SBus slot 2 in an SS20 that
you want to use as the console instead of the SX. From the OpenBoot monitor
show the sbus devices.
Look at the list of devices and make sure you really have the XVideo
board in SBus Slot 2.
- Find the device name needed for the XVideo board.
ok cd /iommu/sbus
The device name should be similar to the following:
- Create the devalias in the NVRAM and set use-nvramrc? to be true:
(BE SURE TO USE THE DEVICE NAME RETURNED TO YOU IN STEP 3)
ok nvalias my-screen /iommu/sbus/PGI,tvtwo@1,40000
- Change the output-device to the my-screen alias:
ok setenv output-device my-screen
- Perform a reset, and the output will go to the XVideo board in SBus slot 2:
If you ever want to delete the devalias my-screen, you can jump into
the OpenBoot monitor and:
ok nvunalias my-screen
ok set-default output-device
which will restore output-device to its default, screen.
[ Send Questions or Comments to Technical Support ]
[ Contact Technical Support (Phone, Fax, etc.) ]
[ Home ]
[ New! ]
[ Products ]
[ Solutions ]
[ Support ]
[ Company ]
[ Contacts ]
Copyright 1998 Parallax Graphics, Inc. All rights reserved.